If the Power Goes Out
In the event of a power outage:
- Determine if the outage is limited to your home or if the entire neighbourhood is without power.
- Report an outage by calling 905-825-9400.
- Follow us on Twitter @oakvillehydro to receive updates.
- View our outage map.
During a power outage, follow these tips:
- Turn off the main electrical switch.
- Turn off or unplug equipment to prevent damage should there be a power surge when power is restored.
- Ensure all stovetop elements are in the off position. If anything combustible is left on an element when power is restored, it could cause a fire.
- Keep at least three (3) metres away (or more) from downed power lines. If you see downed power lines or see someone getting close, contact us immediately at 905-825-9400.
- Secure windows and doors as well as outdoor furniture and equipment.
- Never use barbecues, propane and kerosene heaters and portable generators indoors or in enclosed spaces such as garages, covered porches and sheds
- Do not use gas stoves to heat your home.
- Do not leave candles unattended.
- Do not go near electrical equipment in areas of standing water. Also, do not enter a flooded basement—there is a risk of electrocution.
Once power is restored:
- Ensure that electronics are still turned off or unplugged, then turn on the main electrical switch in your home.
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes before powering up. This will allow the electrical system to stabilize. Begin turning on electronics one by one, with a couple of minutes in-between.
- Restock your emergency kit to ensure all supplies will be there next time.
- Check your food supply for signs of spoilage. If a freezer door has been kept closed, food should stay frozen for 24-36 hours (depending on the temperature).
- Do not use wet appliances, electrical outlets, switch boxes or fuse-breaker panels until they have been checked by an electrician.
For more tips, visit www.getprepared.gc.ca